How writing is like farming and other ramblings and shenanigans

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hey y'all! So glad you've joined me. Let me start this blog by telling you a little bit about myself.

I live in northwest Ohio with my husband and two children on our family farm. We don't have any livestock, unless you count the numerous cats who roam our property.

If anyone would have told me 15 years ago I'd still be living in Ohio, I would have laughed in their faces. I didn't want to live in a rural area. I wanted city lights and late nights. I didn't want to get married until I was at least 30. I wanted kids, but not for a long time.

Well, at the age of 21, I married the love of my life, who lived on a farm in northwest Ohio. I had my first child at 22. Weirdest of all--I love, LOVE farming, almost as much as I love writing.

I only began writing with the intent to be published about two years ago, and it's been a wild ride. I wouldn't have made it without the help of a great group of people - my critique group, my mentor, and my bfff (best 'f***ing friend forever) - and my wonderful, supportive husband, who often listened to me ramble on about writing. When I didn't believe he would fully understand the hell I was going through, I'd say, "It's kind of like farming. You know, when *this* happens."

So that's where the idea for this blog came from.

Writing and farming are extremely rewarding careers that may make you crazy in the process.

I hope you enjoy, and maybe even get a laugh out of it.

--Kim

4 comments:

  1. Writing = Farming. Now, I'm getting scared... And wait, the St. Bernard doesn't count as livestock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, I can so relate to your intro...I grew up in Northern Michigan and always planned to run for bright lights and big city as fast as my two feet could carry me. A short time later I was settled in a little less rural Ohio, but nowhere near the big city I hoped for.

    I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Maureen. He's more like a horse. Writing is like farming. You just wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support Connie! I'm so glad I went to that first MVRWA meeting. You're a great bunch of gals!

    ReplyDelete