How writing is like farming and other ramblings and shenanigans

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life is Like Laundry

There are two chores I absolutely loathe. Laundry and dishes.

We live in an old farmhouse, and our laundry room is in the basement. There's a convenient little chute in our bathroom, so all we have to do is toss our dirty laundry down and forget about it.

Well, the problems is just that. I forget about it. Until I reach into my closet and realize there's no jeans left for me to wear, I have no idea what's going on downstairs. Then I saunter down into the basement, past the pool table that's only used for storage, past my scrapbooking area that I have no time to utilize, and into the laundry room. My washer and dryer look at me accusingly. I've left them down there alone for days. They're dust covered and most likely filled with laundry I long ago forgot about.

Then I make a slow turn to the right and a pile as tall as me of dirty laundry sits in the corner.

It's overwhelming. It's heartbreaking. I'd give almost anything for the pile to magically clean and fold itself.

But alas, no one has invented that handy dandy contraption yet.

Sometimes life is like that dirty pile of laundry. It can accumulate. Take you by surprise. Overwhelm you to the point of tears.

But I think it helps to 'separate the loads' so to speak.

Separate that laundry pile into loads--two loads of jeans, one load of towels, one load of whites, etc--and toss one load in. See that now empty spot on the floor? That's an accomplishment.

When I look at my MS as chapters instead of a book, and I get through one chapter, I have that same sense of accomplishment. Likewise with harvesting. One field down--huzzah. It could be a six acre field for all I care. At least it's one accomplishment. One success.

And we all want to be successful, right?

So next time your life is like that six foot high pile of dirty laundry, separate it into small accomplishments. It's less daunting.

3 comments:

  1. You're so right - separating things into smaller tasks is key. Whether we're talking housework, farm work, writing or whatever. Those small piles are workable..

    PS: Laundry is my favorite chore...when I remember it, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aarggg... You just reminded me that I've got a mountain of laundry waiting for me in the basement too! Separate the loads. Separate the loads...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to look at what can be such a daunting task!

    We had a chute like that when I was little. It ended in a big wooden cage so the clothes wouldn't fall on the basement floor. If it makes you feel better, my mom would sometimes forget about laundry until you couldn't put any more clothes in the chute... from the second story of the house!!

    ReplyDelete